The current library of the town was an ancient hospital for pilgrims on the Santiago's Way and used by those who got off the boat in Bermeo. It was used for patients with contagious diseases and piligrims. The opening year is not exactly known but proof exists that in 1632 it was closed by order of the Lordship of Bizkaia.
The site belongs to the oldest area of the port. It is a popular neoclassical building. It was used as a fish market and as a slaughterhouse, matadero, the name by which it is also known.